Anger Mounts as Residents Raise Pale Banners Over Delayed Flood Relief
For weeks, angry and distressed locals in the nation's westernmost region have been displaying pale banners over the official sluggish response to a succession of fatal deluges.
Caused by a uncommon cyclone in last November, the flooding claimed the lives of more than 1,000 persons and forced out hundreds of thousands across the island of Sumatra. In Aceh, the worst-hit province which represented nearly half of the casualties, many continue to do not have easy access to clean water, food, power and medical supplies.
An Official's Emotional Outburst
In a indication of just how difficult managing the disaster has grown to be, the leader of North Aceh became emotional publicly in early December.
"Can the authorities in Jakarta ignore [our suffering]? It's incomprehensible," a weeping Ismail A Jalil declared on camera.
Yet President the President has rejected external assistance, insisting the situation is "being handled." "Indonesia is capable of managing this crisis," he told his ministers last week. Prabowo has also to date overlooked appeals to designate it a national disaster, which would free up emergency funds and expedite relief efforts.
Increasing Scrutiny of the Leadership
Prabowo's administration has increasingly been scrutinised as reactive, inefficient and disconnected – descriptions that experts contend have come to define his presidency, which he was elected to in last February on the back of people-focused commitments.
Already in his first year, his major expensive school nutrition initiative has been mired in issues over mass food poisonings. In August and September, a great number of people protested over unemployment and soaring costs of living, in what were among the largest public displays the nation has experienced in a generation.
And now, his administration's response to the deluge has proven to be a further challenge for the leader, although his poll numbers have held steady at approximately 78%.
Urgent Pleas for Help
Last Thursday, scores of demonstrators assembled in Banda Aceh, the city, displaying pale banners and calling for that the government in Jakarta opens the door to international aid.
Present in the protesters was a small girl carrying a sheet of paper, which stated: "I'm only very young, I hope to live in a secure and sustainable environment."
Though typically regarded as a symbol for surrender, the white flags that have been raised throughout the region – upon collapsed rooftops, next to washed-away riverbanks and outside places of worship – are a signal for international solidarity, protesters say.
"The flags are not a sign of we are giving in. They are a SOS to grab the notice of friends outside, to show them the conditions in here now are very bad," explained one participant.
Entire communities have been wiped out, while extensive damage to roads and infrastructure has also isolated many communities. Victims have reported sickness and malnutrition.
"For how much longer do we have to wash ourselves in dirt and the deluge," cried a demonstrator.
Regional authorities have appealed to the UN for assistance, with the local official declaring he welcomes aid "from all sources".
Prabowo's administration has said recovery work are ongoing on a "national scale", noting that it has allocated about billions (a large amount) for rebuilding efforts.
Tragedy Repeats Itself
For many in the province, the circumstances brings back painful memories of the 2004 Indian Ocean devastating tidal wave, one of the most devastating calamities on record.
A massive ocean seismic event caused a tidal wave that triggered waves reaching 30m high which hit the Indian Ocean coastline that day, killing an believed two hundred thirty thousand individuals in more than a dozen nations.
The province, previously devastated by a long-running strife, was part of the worst-impacted. Residents say they had barely finished rebuilding their communities when disaster struck again in last November.
Assistance was delivered more promptly after the 2004 Indian Ocean disaster, even though it was far more catastrophic, they argue.
Numerous countries, global bodies like the International Monetary Fund, and charities donated significant resources into the rebuilding process. The national authorities then created a special body to coordinate funds and assistance programs.
"Everyone took action and the region bounced back {quickly|